Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Baby Update

Well, we went in for our Non-stress-test and ultrasound yesterday. Looks like the baby has no stress right now, which is great. We did, however, find out that despite the fact that diet and exercise are keeping my blood levels low enough, the gestational diabetes is still affecting the baby's growth rate. The baby is currently over 6.5 pounds (about 90th percentile, with an abdomen in the 99th percentile, another effect of gestational diabetes). The doctor was concerned and therefore I had to start regulating my insulin this morning.

If the baby grew at a "normal" rate for the next 6 weeks, it would be close to 10 lbs. when born. Because of gest. diabetes, however, it is likely that the baby would grow at an even more accelerated pace. I am bummed that I have to be on the medication, but I am glad that we found this out now, and I am glad that there is a way to regulate the baby's insulin and growth rate.

This new finding made the decision that we will for sure have to have a scheduled c-section in the 39th week (I've been waffling lately), but if I go into labor before then I hope to have a VBAC delivery.

Here are a few photos from the ultrasound:




Sideways shot of face: mouth is to the left, eyes are to the right.



Fingers of the right hand reaching around it's belly. We also got to see the baby hold it's hands together:)



Another side face shot, same direction. Here you can see how chubby baby's cheeks are!

Thank you for your love and care for our family. We appreciate your prayers for a healthy last few weeks and delivery, and we can't wait to meet our little chubby bunny.

1 comment:

leesh said...

sending love your way and to your little wolverine....go blue! :)